Sunday, January 27, 2008

Welcome to Doha-Accidents & Round-a-bouts

I must sound like a broken record when I say that the driving here is horrible! Qatar is trying, they have started enforcing traffic laws, they are redesigning roads and they are either eliminating round-a-bouts or adding traffic signals to them. By adding traffic signals to a round-a-bout the path of traffic becomes a little more organized. But, accidents still happen!

On my way home this evening, one more round-a-bout to go and I got stopped at the traffic light. Remember, this is still a round-a-bout, not a true intersection. I hear honking and look to my left and there in the middle of the round-a-bout is an accident! Since you can't move the car, you have to sit and wait for the police to arrive, if they can due to the traffic! Coincidentally, I had my camera handy. So posted today is how you drive through a round-a-bout, when there is an accident blocking the lanes!

This video is about 2 minutes long, watch closely at around 1 minute, you will see another near miss of an accident!

3 comments:

THE GARCIAS IN THE DESERT..... said...

That got us screaming too. No matter how long you're here in Doha, I guess you never really get used to near misses. My favorite part was hearing you in the background. I thought I was LOUD!!! LOL. Thanks for sharing! P.S. Rolando and I took some time to finally see your complete blog. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Bree said...

Now I'm fully convinced that I'll want a hummer SUV or something larger to drive while in Doha!!! LOL Incredible. Believe it or not, we had a round-a-bout put in at an intersection in Akron, Ohio! It was crazy while people got used to it. It was put there to "avoid more accidents" this intersection was known for!!

THE GARCIAS IN THE DESERT..... said...

What?!?!?!? Nothing new this week. Come on, the Krispy Kreme is COMING TO DOHA! JJ....LOL