Friday, January 4, 2008

One Year...Two Words...WE SURVIVED

As of today, we have officially been in Doha, Qatar for one year! We are still living and breathing!

I can remember walking off the plane and going through customs thinking what have we done, Macey meowing the same question! We had wonderful friends, who at the time we did not know would become our guiding light, pick us up at the airport. I can remember sending Traci a picture of us so that she would recognize us, since we had only talked over email. Little did I know that we would be such an obvious pair, wide eyed and scared to death!


With each day, life in Doha has gotten easier. The first 2 months were quite rough. It seemed like we were waiting for everything, residence permits, cars, Internet, Internet, Internet! Michael and I have been laughing, remembering how we used to hang out of our balcony stealing one bar of wireless signal. We were so excited to get even just one bar. Of course last year at this time is was freezing and raining, this winter has been wonderfully mild!

Of course it does take some time to get used to hearing the Call to Pray and seeing a sea of thobes and abayas (Muslim dress). Not to mention the new driving etiquette or lack there of that we have acquired. When it comes to driving it is truly the survival of the fittest!
But all in all, life is quite the same. Michael goes to work, Macey and I sleep in...well okay we don't sleep in every day! I do keep quite busy substituting and don't forget cleaning. I have not broken down and hired someone to clean as you know how much I truly enjoy cleaning. Michael informed me last night that I mop the floor more times in one week than he has ever done in his whole life. I am still trying figure out where the problem in that statement lies!
We know that there are many of you following our blog considering a move to the Middle East. Please feel free to email us with any of your questions, don't be shy. This is truly a decision that should be thoroughly researched.

For the rest of you, thank you such much for showing interest in our adventures! I have actually put a sitemeter on the blog and it has been amazing to watch all of the hits that we get from all over the world! Please accept my apology now for the lack of pictures being posted my camera literally bit the dust on our last dune trip. It was very windy and did not like being pelted with sand. So more pictures to come again soon!

We are looking forward to another year filled with more adventures and travels.

1 comment:

Bree said...

I love your "year in review". I've enjoyed your blog so much. You've been honest, funny, and very informative about the whole experience. I love learning new things about the culture as you learn them. You guys are a big part of my wanting to go to Doha!!! thanks! Michael, get her camera man! She's doing the States a HUGE service---don't let us down--LOL!
Love, Bree