Sunday, June 26, 2011

Count it...18 Seconds



I thought I would take a bit of time away from my usual photo album and share the linked video.

I have found it so interesting to engage in conversations with other moms regarding "swimming lessons". I personally have no opinion as to how others teach their children, however, for me (and Michael) enrolling Kelsey in a survival swim style class was a must-do.

Living in the South and traveling, we are around water a great deal, whether it be a backyard pool or a pond at a park. During a home visit to Houston when Kelsey was about 6 months old, a 2 year old girl drowned in our community pool with a large number of lifeguards and parents around. It was at that point that I started asking around about getting Kelsey lessons, the sooner the better. At that same pool, I witnessed a 1 year old demonstrate some survival swimming techniques as she played in the water. I was instantly intrigued and so the research began...

Being in Doha, my options were limited, but I did enroll Kelsey in a mommy and me style class. For me, blowing bubbles in the water wasn't enough. With another baby on the way and clearly not above losing sight of my child for a moment, survival swim lessons were at the top of my list after repatriating to Houston.

It took me a bit of time to find Miss Glendy and we are so glad we did. You've all seen her amazing videos and pictures and CLEARLY these lessons are not for everyone, but for us, they were exactly what I was looking for.

It is now summer and I feel like every newscast describes the sweet young life, lost too early due to a drowning incident. So while I have been put on the defensive several times regarding the style of lesson I chose to pursue, I sleep well knowing that Kelsey (and Julia one day) will be forever safe in the water.

Click here for more information about Miss Glendy's Waterbabies.

No comments: